Liberals oust member for 'lying rodent' commentsThe Queensland...

1. 1,998 Posts.
    Liberals oust member for 'lying rodent' comments

The Queensland Liberal who caused the Prime Minister to be labelled a "lying rodent" during last year's federal election campaign has been expelled from the party.

The Liberals' disciplinary committee has stripped Russell Galt of his membership after finding he brought the party into disrepute.

Mr Galt had told the media that Liberal Senator George Brandis referred to the Prime Minister as a "lying rodent" in relation to the children overboard controversy.

Once an aspiring Queensland election candidate, Mr Galt says he does not regret the comments.

"In hindsight I wish they hadn't caused the sort of pain they have," he said.

"But nevertheless they were made in a very real attempt to try and sort out and have some influence on the rather disappointing factionalism that takes place here within the Queensland Liberal Party."

In a parting shot, Mr Galt says the Liberals have failed to properly investigate impropriety claims against the party's state president.

In 2003, Mr Galt withdrew a court challenge against his failed pre-selection bid in the state seat of Moggill.

The former party official maintains state president Michael Caltabiano persuaded him to drop the action by committing the party to pay his legal fees.

Mr Caltabiano, who is contesting this month's by-election in Chatsworth, is refusing to comment on the alleged $140,000 payment.

Mr Galt says the party does not seem to be interested in investigating his claims.

"Those matters certainly were presented to the disciplinary committee and I'm surprised that state council hasn't received my submission on that which details rightly to the Liberal Party in Queensland what that position was," he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.