LYC 0.00% $6.40 lynas rare earths limited

Lynas will prioritise US military's rare-earths needs, CEO says...

1. RVR
    6,297 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2334
    Lynas will prioritise US military's rare-earths needs, CEO says
    By Justina Vasquez SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
    June 7, 2019 — 10.30am

Lynas, the world's largest rare-earth producer outside of China, will prioritise the US military's needs when it starts production at a plant it's building in Texas, its chief executive officer said.

While defense applications are small compared to commercial uses, the military has been successful in creating "viable supply chains" across the industry and that makes it a high priority, Lynas's CEO Amanda Lacaze said in an interview in Chicago on Thursday.

Rare earths -- a group of 17 vital elements used in missile systems, electric-vehicle, computer screens and other tech devices -- have been thrown into the limelight after China signalled it may restrict shipments to the US.

Lynas has been talks with the US Department of Defense and the Defense Logistics Agency "pretty much for as long as I've been in the job and I'm thinking before that as well," she said. Negotiations for supply to the DoD and the DLA gave Lynas the confidence to enter into a joint venture with Blue Line Corp. to build in Texas the only separation plant for heavy rare earths outside of China, she said.

The US stressed the urgency to ensure it doesn't get cut off from supply, with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross promising on Tuesday "unprecedented action" to secure the nation's access to the raw material.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.40
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $5.982B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.47 $6.48 $6.34 $20.28M 3.161M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 12848 $6.39

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.40 17965 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.