LYC 0.77% $6.56 lynas rare earths limited

Lynas's Maiden Dividend, page-18

1. 180 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 142
    Amazon and Tesla are US companies. US companies have a very different philosphy compared to Australian companies - as do Aust. investors. That is why I wish to exclude US commentary from this discussion. We are an Australian company and we discuss on an Australian-based board. That we are invested in a company that has a very international focus is a bonus, but we are Australian in the context of this discussion

Using the term "management have run out of ideas" is - IMO - a lazy and apologist term to one particular group of shareholders - wanting growth over income. That's fine as a concept, but not all investors are 100% focused on growth. Some wish to have a split between the two. I'm well aware that we are financing a few different ventures, but the company may soon have scope to return some funds to shareholders due to the low debt nature of the balance sheet. The fact that AL has mentioned this in recent discussions indicates that the board is aware of the issue.

WRT the accumulated losses. They aren't a loan, the money is a sunk cost no? The losses can be written-off against company profits which minimises LYC's tax position, but they have no requirement to be "repaid". I don't see how they figure as any impediment to return dividend to shareholders.

As for taxation, most of us will be able to utilise franking credits if you are based in Australia for tax purposes, so there is little to be scared of from a taxation perspective.

Personally, I'm in no long-term hurry to get any dividends, but it would be nice to know what the near-term plans are for this topic. If we have an announcement that LYC is proposing a dividend structure commencing FY 25-26, I would be pleased with that.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.