AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

maddingley mine is high value leonardite

1. 6,284 Posts.
    Are you sure your directors want to burn BM coal ?

What remains of BM coal if burnt, is known to be a lower calorific form of brown coal known as leonardite.

Leonardite is softer and waxier than LV lignite and has an extremely high PH ( acidic level ). It's about 60% water and dissolves easily in alkaline solutions.

The mine was jorc'd @ 400 mT in 1930 and mined at a rate of some 400 tonnes a day for over 40 years.

Lignite is powering about 80% of Victoria's power supply.

At todays usage of around 100,000 tonnes per day just to feed Loy Yang, Hazelwood, and Yallourn power stations, 400 tonnes gives about 5 minutes of power for Victoria.

What remains in the ground at Maddingley would not power Victoria for more than 2 years. Latrobe Valley is not fully jorc'd but by comparison , there is somewhere between 500 and 1,300 years supply at current usage rates, so why dig up fertilizer grade low calorific high acid brown coal to densify it ? The high acidic levels will burn a boiler out in no time. Buyers would expect a heavy discount to market rates for such a product.

If you Wiki Maddingley mine, all the info the power posters have been searching for, is there for all, including MNM directors to read.

You will see that BM coal is not lignite but is in fact a degraded low calorific, high acid material of relative high value when compared to lignite.

...................... leonardite.

The Calleja Bro's bought the old mining site initially as a ''green'' waste dump to get rid of the Alphington paper mill
    alkaline pulp waste after the mine became non viable in 1977.

They sold off the buffer zone for real estate subdivision.

C bros, have for decades been mining the remaining leonardite and selling it as a soil improver .

Leonardite has 3 high value uses

1. fertilizer

2. toxic soil neutralizer

3. drilling ''mud'' additive

Why would exergen consider using such an identified strategic resource which due to oxygenation degradation is low in calorific value, high in water and acidity content as a possible feed stock for it's coal drying tech ?

Why would the Vic Govt, which saw it close down as no longer commercially viable in 1977 allow such a small low ranking brown coal mine to re open as a boiler feedstock when it knows exactly what is there and why it is a strategic resource ?

Who sues who when it comes to the selling off of the known and identified buffer zone ?

Theoretically,if it had never been mined,,, and all was in tact,,,and it was at least LV grade lignite,,,, and if all systems were go go go,,,,, and the leonardite was lignite and mined for power production,,, to put things in perspective,,, there was once enough resource in the ground to power Victorian power stations, for about 3 years.

What remains is certainly a high value resource when considered as a soil improvement fertilizer, should it ever get the enviro certification go ahead, and land owner support, but as a thermal coal feed stock ? Really ?

Please research and ask the directors some direct questions.

If MNM can exploit the remaining high value resource in the appropriate fertilizer sector, it should make increase holder value ,,, but as a thermal feed stock I am not so sure.

If this Coy makes the right sounds regarding the utilization of this resource in the fertilizer and land contamination neutralization sectors, I would consider MNM a LT Buy.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.