When I was a Gen-X teen in the 80s I had nothing but respect for...

1. 202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 37
    When I was a Gen-X teen in the 80s I had nothing but respect for the Boomers. The 30-somethings who were the anti-war flower-power kids of the psychedelic 60's &70s, when everything seemed way cooler than the bubble-gum pop and video game era I was living in. You were the folks who inspired John Lennon to 'Imagine' a utopia without social injustice, possessions or religion and The Who to tell the Conservatives of the time to F-F-Fade away.

But somehow, as you grew out of that phase you discovered that Greed was Good, and that became the new mantra. Over the course of the following decades, without needing to face the wars and depressions that gave prior generations a more appreciative perspective, you were blessed with the opportunity to amass wealth like never before, to the point today where the majority is locked away by the same kids who once espoused equality.

Along the way, you not only managed to set the ecosphere on an irreversible downward spiral but then made sure to sow enough misinformation against the scientific consensus to ensure any global action would be bog-down for decades in a quagmire of denialism - all to make sure the ballooning wealth of your investments wasnt impeeded.

All that might be forgivable if it was not for the contempt you now direct at the younger generations for simply complaining about you leaving them a world where they can't achieve the basic human right of shelter (because you turned it into a monopoly game) and face a global environmental disaster that you will argue into your graves does not exist.

How the hell Hippies became MAGA in the US or ScoMo's Bible bashers here in Oz none of us younger generations will ever understand. Us X'ers are still the brooding pissed-off outcasts we were three decades ago, but you guys changed beyond words and are going down in history as the greatest hypocrites ever to walk on the face of the earth.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.