MFG 1.68% $9.07 magellan financial group limited

Hi Robbin,I think simply inflows and outflows are new money in...

1. 472 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 86
    Hi Robbin,

I think simply inflows and outflows are new money in and out. If there are net outflows you can take that as market sentiment for future returns of the fund. So with net outflows recently people believe money will be bailing out.
    As for performance, if the underlying shares in the fund go well FUM will grow. eg 100 bill ....the funds grow 10% FUM goes up to 110 bill. The management fees therefore increase as more FUM is there. Good returns increase FUM but then attract performance fees.

So as an indicator look up the holdings in the global fund, the high conviction fund and the infrastructure fund. Following their basket of stocks you will be able to track FUM to a degree. Its just the inflows and outflows that you cant track hence its reported each month.

Magellan long term performance has been fantastic. The point that people are missing and this is the point Chella is making is that the underperformance for the period of serious growth in the market has dragged down all the reported time frame comparisons. If you look at the financial year reported of the COVID year most funds were negative. Magellan global was positive approx 8% depending on your contributions throughout the year. But they missed the big v shaped recovery and that period alone has dragged all the 1yr, 3yr, 5yr under the index. 10 years is still holding in as better. If you deleted the past financial year or looked at reporting up till the start of 20-21 financial year you will see a much different picture.

So become intimate with their holdings, follow them. This will illustrate an idea of their performance. You can track the high conviction fund through MHHT and the global fund MGOC
    See what their new products are launching eg future pay, watch as these new products go onto different trading platforms and scale grows. Look at the indexes eg NASDAQ each day and see how that compares to their selected holdings on the same index eg alphabet, Microsoft, Facebook and so on.
    I have a long list I monitor based on the holdings in each of their funds.

Hope that helps you to track

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MFG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$9.07
Change
-0.155(1.68%)
Mkt cap ! $1.635B
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.20 $9.22 $9.03 $2.246M 246.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
25 1049 $9.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$9.07 731 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.55pm 05/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MFG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.