MNS 0.00% 4.2¢ magnis energy technologies ltd

Magnis 101 - 5 Lessons In Graphite Investing, page-166

1. 2,039 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Hi Rocko,

Thanks for your calm and reasoned approach to this discussion. Perhaps you can clarify a point for me, which I have been unable to resolve via Google.

I am somewhat mystified by just what is meant when graphite - any kind of graphite - is referred to as "isotropic". Isotropic means, essentially, that something is the same in all directions. In the case of graphite, this is manifestly untrue. Indeed, it is the very fact that graphite is anisotropic that gives rise to some of its important characteristics. In a graphite sheet, (a single layer of carbon atoms) the adjacent atoms are 0.142 nanometres (nm) apart. But between atoms in successive sheets, the distance between atomic layers is 0.341 nm. The weak forces between the relatively-distant layers are what allow the layers to slide over one another, (and to peel off as graphene).

In a diamond, all the carbon atoms are spaced equally, at 0.154 nm, and diamond can therefore be considered as isotropic. But not graphite.

What is it about graphite from Nachu that allows anyone to state that it is "isotropic"?

Cheers,

Prime1

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MNS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.