TVN 5.45% 5.2¢ tivan limited

NT News tomorrow: $1.6bn in NT resource projects to soften Inpex...

1. 43 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    NT News tomorrow:

$1.6bn in NT resource projects to soften Inpex construction cliff fall
    ASHLEY MANICAROS, NT News

Subscriber only
    THE Gunner Government has given $1.6 billion in resource plans “major project” status hoping to facilitate jobs and soften the impact of the Inpex construction cliff fall.
    TNG’s $850 million Mount Peake Vanadium-Titanium-Iron Mine, 280km north of Alice Springs and Verdant Minerals Ltd’s $750 million Ammaroo Phosphate Project, 180km south east of Tennant Creek could create 2200 jobs during construction and another 1000 once operational.
    Both projects are not expected to enter the construction phase until 2018, subject to finance and approvals.
    Chief Minister Michael Gunner said major project status was not a shortcut and projects would still be subject to proper environmental scrutiny.
    He said government spending and these major projects will help soften the impact of the Inpex cliff.
    “We can’t fill all the void left by the Inpex cliff,” he said.
    “But today’s signing is a significant step forward to securing ongoing employment for hundreds of people in Central Australia and Darwin,” he said.
    “It does not provide a short cut. It does provide confidence and certainty for the company as to how we will work with them.”
    The TNG project involves a mine in Central Australia and a state-of-the-art processing facility on Channel Point Rd.
    Vanadium is used in batteries and considered critical in developing storage capacity associated to renewable energy.
    TNG managing director Paul Burton said there was potential downstream production beyond the refinery.
    “We’ve had all the clearances with the mine sites agreed with the Central Land Council and the traditional owners,” he said.
    “We anticipate up to 30 per cent of our workforce will be local indigenous people.
    “We are keeping some of the product for the technology development of large storage batteries. Vanadium electrolyte is a heavy liquid and it is important to have that production source near where you are producing it.”
    Verdant Minerals managing director Chris Tziolis said there was also potential downstream production for the production of fertilisers.
    “The development of Ammaroo and other fertiliser mineral projects in the Territory could in time enable the value adding to the minerals to produce finished fertiliser products to service demand in both Asia and Australia, which now imports most of its fertiliser.”
    The Ammaroo project will generate 500 construction jobs and include a 90km rail spur.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TVN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.