Maklemore - world class monumental failure, page-117

1. 1,769 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Did you know roughly 20% of people in the general population (22.3% female; 17.6% male) aged 16 and over met the criteria for a mental disorder and had symptoms in the last 12 months.

Are they all persecuted too, or only LGBTI's get persecuted ?

8% of Same-Gender Attracted and Gender Diverse young people between 14 and 21 years had attempted suicide, 18% had experienced verbal abuse, and 37% of those who experienced physical abuse.

That means 82% had not experienced verbal or physical abuse. This makes sense in a society that has very much extended every other available right and assistance to the gay community.

So why are "Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people aged 16 and over (are) nearly six times more likely to currently meet the criteria for a depressive episode"? Maybe you have an opinion, please share if you do.

For me, I think the gay lifestyle is inherently risky in terms of mental health outcomes. Risky sexual encounters such as frequenting public sex venues, high frequency of unprotected sex, lack of long term committed relationships (5 in 6 gay men had more than 1 sexual partner in any given 6mth period) etc. etc. are all factors that would be likely to increase the mental health risks of a person.

I don't claim to be qualified, just looked into the issues. You can do the same if you're interested. Perhaps start with the National LGBTI Health Alliance - http://lgbtihealth.org.au/statistics/#_edn13

Plenty of links to academic papers, ABS findings etc. etc. at the bottom.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.