MBN 0.00% 8.3¢ mirabela nickel limited

Hi All, It appears to me MBN biggest problem isn't the nickel...

1. 689 Posts.
    Hi All,

It appears to me MBN biggest problem isn't the nickel price, but rather its Foreign Exchange management.

HY13, Net FX losses $27.8M, foreign currency translation differences $25.75M loss. $52.5M out of total $82.2M loss, 63.8% of loss.

HY12, Net FX loss of $13.6M, foreign currency translation differences $55.8M loss. $72.59M out of total $119.77M Loss, 60.6% of loss.

CY12 Nett FX loss $9.9M. Foreign Currency Translation differences $67.5M loss. $78.97M loss. $521M total, excluding $380M impairment of property, plant & equipment (for simplicity, lol) $141M. 78.97/141= 56% of loss.

CY11 Nett FX Profit $32.8M. Foreign Currency Translation differences Loss ($134.7M). Cash flow hedges $70.5M profit. Fair value transfered $17.7M. $13.7M Loss of $97.2M Total Loss.

Maybe I'm a dumbass, but it seems to me MBN has a Foreign Currency Translation problem.

"Net FX losses primarily resulted from unrealised movements on the translation of non-USD cash held & borrowings."

SURELY THEY HAVEN'T KEPT CASH IN BRASIL REAL??

THEY COULDN'T BE THAT STUPID, COULD THEY?

Cash kept in $US/$A would be performing brilliantly against local Brazilian expenses. Debt in BR would have also been a huge gain, IMO.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

My 10 year old, with an hours schooling in TA could tell me we shouldn't be in BR after looking at the chart below. Death Cross Sept11. There's a 6 week window Feb-Mar13 where you could be forgiven.

Some mental giant will probably switch cash to $US now that BR 'MAY' have bottomed.

IMO, DYOR.

Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MBN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.