mandatory death penalty in singapore, page-97

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    dust, to answer your last question first, if someone close to me was in such a position I would anything, legal or illegal, to save their life, in that respect I think most people would be the same. However in such a situation my involvement is personal and my decisions are based on personal interest and emotional responses. I believe that our leaders should approach such issues in a more objective manner and consider all aspects of the bigger picture, but that would not me stop from appealing to them for help.

I am not saying that anyone who opposes the death penalty are hypocrites, what I am saying is that if at the same time you are opposing the death penalty on the basis of the sanctity of life, then you cannot condone or support the use of armed forces on foreign soil that will result in the death of opposing combatants, but more important, innocent civilians including children. You cannot on one hand support multiple killing of innocents to defend other lives, property or political principles, but condemn killing one person also to defend a political principle.
    Our pollies are prepared to accept the death of foreign civilians as a result of military operations in places such as Iraq, but not the death of an Australian citizen who has been processed through a justice system and knew in advance of the consequence of his actions. Is one persons life worth more than anothers?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.