Manmade Global Warming - New Extremes, page-678

1. 28,155 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 479

Two cities that are usually sweltering have been hit by a devastating snowstorm, with the blizzard causing damage to one of Europe’s biggest airports.

news.com.au
    January 26, 2022

Stranded passengers have kicked off protests at Istanbul Airport and soldiers worked through the night to try to dig out snowed-in drivers in Athens after a freak blizzard triggered chaos across the Mediterranean.

Istanbul officials ordered all private vehicles off the slush-covered streets and residents in Athens abandoned their cars in drifting snow as basic services such as food delivery in both cities ground to a halt.

The problems were compounded in Athens and across some of Greece’s scenic islands by power cuts in the unusual winter freeze.

“I have had no electricity since Monday evening,” pensioner Dionyssis Kiourkakis told AFP in Athens.

“This is shameful. If I were younger, I would leave Greece.”

Cars abandoned after being snowed in at Athens. Picture: Sotiris Dimitropoulos/Eurokinissi/AFP
    Cars abandoned after being snowed in at Athens. Picture: Sotiris Dimitropoulos/Eurokinissi/AFP
    Even Athens’ beaches were covered in snow. Picture: Louisa Gouliamaki/AFP
    Even Athens’ beaches were covered in snow. Picture: Louisa Gouliamaki/AFP

The Greek government declared Tuesday and Wednesday as public holidays in a bid to limit the number of daily commuters and help ongoing efforts to clear the streets.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.