PNM 0.00% 2.4¢ pacific nickel mines limited

Elroy,QLD is opposed to uranium mining, but supposedly will...

1. 1,011 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    Elroy,

QLD is opposed to uranium mining, but supposedly will abide by whatever decision is made at the April 2007 Labor Party conference.

My understand (correct me if I'm wrong!) is Victoria and NSW have legislation banning the exploration for and mining of uranium, whilst all other states ban its mining (with the exception of three operating mines - Olympic Dam and Beverley in SA, Ranger in NT).

This is the result of all states having Labor governments which respect the 1983 "Three mines policy" that prevents further expansion of uranium mining.

However, there is a great deal of disagreement within the Labor Party and a decision about the future of this policy will be taken in April 2007.

Rudd (Fed) is supposedly for scr@pping it, Carpenter (WA) is for keeping it, Rann (SA) is for scr@pping it, Martin (NT) is for scr@pping it, Iemma (NSW) for keeping it, Bracks (VIC) for keeping it, and Beattie (QLD) sits on the fence and is willing to abide by whatever is decided in April. Dunno about TAS.

Interestingly, Labor appears to be unanimously opposed to nuclear energy in Australia.

Areo
    ps: HC certainly doesn't have very good forum software. Wont except the word "scra pping"?!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PNM (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.