CXY 0.00% 0.3¢ cougar energy limited

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/coal-gas-developer-cougar-ener...

1. 338 Posts.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/coal-gas-developer-cougar-energy-sacks-20-staff-after-bore-water-contamination-scare-at-kingaroy/comments-e6freon6-1225896209376

Coal gas developer Cougar Energy sacks 20 staff after bore water contamination scare at Kingaroy:

EMBATTLED underground coal gas developer Cougar Energy has sacked most of its staff in the wake of a bore water contamination scare near Kingaroy.
    Cougar Energy was forced to shut down its pilot UCG plant near Kingaroy, 220km northwest of Brisbane, last week after the government learnt traces of the cancer-causing chemical benzene and the toxic chemical toluene were found in bores on the site.

The Government will not allow the plant to be reignited until environmental checks are completed.

Cougar said in a statement to the ASX it had "taken steps to consolidate its financial position".

About 20 staff have been terminated in Kingaroy, Brisbane and Melbourne.

"Various arrangements with contractors and local service providers have also been discontinued for the time being," the company statement said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    Related CoverageKingaroy anger: Toxic scare bans cattle sales
    Brisbane: Cancer fears shut down gas trial
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    Managing director Dr Len Walker said it was a difficult decision to make.

"I am grateful to every one of our employees for their dedication and commitment to building our groundbreaking UCG projects in Australia," he said.

A core number of staff will be retained until the environmental checks are completed.

Biosecurity Queensland told local farmers on Thursday they could market their cattle again.

But the animals must have been kept away from possibly contaminated groundwater for 48 hours before they go to slaughter.

Farmers are expected to quiz Queensland government officials and ministers at community cabinet in Roma on Sunday over the monitoring and regulation of UCG projects.

One of the public comments on the article:
    Peter E of Adelaide, SA Posted at 5:25 PM Today
    "This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. The levels of benzene were below any levels of concern! The NHMRC originally set standards for water. You get a huge dose of benzene simply by going to a petrol station. You get a high dose of carcinogens from chlorinated water. I have done analyses on drinking water and there have been traces of agricultural chemicals like atrazine (and desethylatrazine/hydrozyatrazine) and no one blinks an eye. If you drink foreign wine chances are you have ingested traces of a carcinogen (ochratoxin) and if you have one of many herbal remedies you have ingested patulin also a potent carcinogen. If you have honey produced from bees feeding on "Patersons curse/Salvation Jane" you would have ingested retronecine which will cause grave damage to your liver (very quickly) I could go on.. Benzene is very volatile, and permeates through the skin, so its lost easily. You will get benzene in water and PAH's (carcinogenic) from road runoff water - but storm water experts don't consider that a risk! Don't forget that its already been documented that in ruminants benzene is metabolised, so the risk is .....zero"

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CXY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.