re: rally in melbourne Have not logged on since friday (as I...

1. 258 Posts.
    re: rally in melbourne Have not logged on since friday (as I have a life) and have only come across this thread today.

This was my first march/protest I have attended. I have been a Liberal voter for my whole life, and this issue along with the refusal of Australia to ratify Kyoto is why I will not vote for the Liberals until I see a change in policy.

To give you an idea of who attended, I am in a professional role in funds management, as where the people who attended from our firm. And yes I was surprised that there was a group there calling for the end to mandatory detention, and certainly told them that this rally by no means supports their cause and this is a separate issue.

People who passing through where allowed to pass quickly along the perpendicular streets, and therefore had little impact on the numbers.

The rallies largest section of the community was the 65 years and plus age group. There were a lot of soap dodgers there but they were distinctly in the minority.

We were not as a majority pro-Iraq or anti-American. We were and still are anti-killing of innocent civilians in any country. This war on Iraq by US forces would at a minimum kill 100,000 non-military personal in Iraq, and my dilemma with this is: How does this make us better than the terrorists or have we sank to their level?

A point made by Bob Brown (who has never been my favourite politician) is that for a fraction of the cost of this war on Iraq, we could provide clean water and sanitation for every person on this Earth. Surely this would provide a more sustainable peace?

We need to develop stronger ties with our neighbours and not inflame them with attacks in their backyards.

So I propose a question: If armed militia had invaded and occupied a house three doors down from your house and then a week later invaded and occupied the house next door, would you feel safe?

No! That is the feeling that this war would create in the Middle East. It will push more people into servitude to groups such as Al Qaeda. The world needs new thinking not Bush logic(or is this a oxymoron)!

Dbm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.