MBP 3.23% 3.0¢ metabolic pharmaceuticals limited

I am in for the ride up but I'm not a fan of these guys MBP as I...

1. 301 Posts.
    I am in for the ride up but I'm not a fan of these guys MBP as I lost a fair wack when the went down last year; I hope I can get back a few dollares of what I lost.

I think this has something to do with the rise?

Copey and pased from there website:

Metabolic is developing AOD9604 for the potential prevention and / or treatment of osteoporosis.

In 2006, rodent studies demonstrated beneficial effects of AOD9604 in the prevention of osteoporosis. These results are consistent with the known biology of human Growth Hormone. AOD9604 is a 16-amino acid, orally active peptide modelled on one fragment of the human Growth Hormone molecule. Studies suggest that AOD9604 retains the bone stimulating properties of human Growth Hormone, based on the tissue cell culture and rodent testing previously conducted. Several substantial rodent studies with AOD9604 indicate that this drug may have a role in the prevention and possible treatment of osteoporosis, through direct action on osteoblasts, the cells which build new bone.

Up until February 2007, AOD9604 was being developed for the treatment of obesity in addition to osteoporosis. The development of AOD9604 for obesity was discontinued due to the primary endpoint not being met in a Phase 2B trial (further information is featured in the Historical Information website section). The results of the obesity trial have no technical bearing on the development of AOD9604 for osteoporosis. Metabolic benefits from the knowledge gained in previous obesity trials, particularly as the drug has been tested in almost 1,000 subjects with no safety or tolerability issues reported. Should the drug progress to human osteoporosis trials, Phase 1 safety studies may not be required.

The next milestone is to evaluate a clinical development plan conditional upon two pending rodent studies. Two rodent studies were commenced in 2006 and 2007 to determine the optimum dose of AOD9604 for bone effects, and whether the drug is effective in the treatment of osteoporosis as well as prevention. These results, together with previous animal data, and safety data from obesity trials, will be used to prepare a development plan for AOD9604 for osteoporosis.

Metabolic anticipates that a complete data set will be ready by mid-2008, to be used for partnering / licensing discussions. Metabolic does not intend to develop AOD9604 for osteoporosis independently and will seek a partner to develop this project.

The osteoporosis market

An ageing population will continue to increase the market for osteoporosis drugs. Osteoporosis is characterised by a reduction in the quantity and quality of bone by the loss of both bone mineral and protein content, leading to fractures after minimal trauma. As humans age, the levels of several hormones including estrogen, testosterone and growth hormone gradually decline, creating imbalances in a variety of metabolic functions. This decline in hormone levels contributes to weight gain and loss of bone quality observed in old age.

While osteoporosis is predominantly an older person's disease, it can occur at any age. According to Osteoporosis Australia, one in two women and one in three men over the age of 60 years will have a fracture due to osteoporosis. More than 30 million people over the age of 50 years have osteoporosis and the number is increasing as the population ages. The sales of osteoporosis drugs are currently valued at approximately US$7 billion a year.

Patent position

Patent applications for AOD9604 for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis have been filed.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MBP (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.