mcdonalds 'family contracts' ???

1. 642 Posts.
    Interesting story on ABC News website ... I wonder how such a system would work? Would it just be good for Maccas or does it give employees wanted flexibility also? I'd feel this sort of a system intrusive because I'd feel it makes families obliged to Maccas (who pay low wages)... but that's just my opinon.

ABC Online

AM - McDonalds introduces family contracts

[This is the print version of story http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1556505.htm]

AM - Friday, 27 January , 2006 08:24:00
    Reporter: Brendan Trembath
    KAREN PERCY: Fast food giant McDonalds has created a family-sized work contract that could revolutionise its workplaces.

It's moved to allow members of the same family to share one job, that is, brothers, sisters, mums and dads can fill in for one another. McDonalds is trying out the idea in six British cities.

If the family contracts catch on there, they may one day be introduced in McDonalds restaurants in countries like Australia.

Rita Cross's family has signed on in Wales.

Brendan Trembath has been speaking to her in the Welsh capital Cardiff.

RITA CROSS: Basically, it’s a family contract, so what it enables us to do is… I've got two girls that work in the store. So basically if one of the girls is either sick, or has got a lot of coursework due to her college studies, she can get her sister to go in for her and she would not have to phone management to ask for permission. She could just go and cover her shift with no problems.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: Do the daughters share the same uniforms?

RITA CROSS: No, they've got their own uniforms, because they have separate shifts as well. They have got their own.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: So, what does the family contract look like? Is it a contract for each member of your family, or just one for the whole family?

RITA CROSS: It's just one contract per family. That's all it is. If there's another family in there they'll have their own contract.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: What if one of your daughters doesn't want to go to work that day, or they both don't want to go to work?

RITA CROSS: Basically, then they would have to phone the store up, give them plenty of notice and it will enable then, management to get someone to cover their shift, which is really important.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: Are there any rules which make these family contracts different to an average employment contract at the restaurant?

RITA CROSS: There's no such rules as such. It's just basically that… the good thing about it is that they just can one can go in for the other and it's just no hassle, no problems, no stress for them.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: How long have they been working like this so far?

RITA CROSS: The contract has only been going on for a few months, so it hasn't been very long. It's quite a new system.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: What are the longer-term benefits of a contract like this for a company such as McDonalds?

RITA CROSS: I just think it would encourage a lot more younger people, for siblings to take the job. I think there would be less phoning in sick. I just think it'd be a lot more positive all through.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: Does it suggests that the part time work is actually quite involved, almost full time in a respect that the amount of part time work is quite a number of hours, so spreading it around makes it a bit easier?

RITA CROSS: Yes, definitely. It's true. However many hours it's involved, it's going to make life a lot easier part time or full time really. Yes.

BRENDAN TREMBATH: Is McDonalds looking at expanding this program?

RITA CROSS: From what I read in the paper, it's possible that they could be, because I think it's only in Britain at the moment. So it could possibly be going further.

KAREN PERCY: McDonalds worker Rita Cross in Cardiff with Brendan Trembath.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.