@watso good to hear from you! - hosted my visitors yesterday,...

1. 17,903 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 148
    @watso good to hear from you! - hosted my visitors yesterday, nice people, but we differ on so many points, but manage to have a friendship going - I didn't bake, because my doctor's appointment in the morning took too long. Am o.k.! yippee - nothing wrong with me mentally either, as was intimated on another thread rolleyes.png. One must not take HC too seriously, it can really affect you.
    I am actually quite modern when it comes to cooking, but gifted my microwave oven on Gumtree and replaced it with a neat little air fryer which is an excellent energy-saver, it's big enough to cook a meal for 4 (stew inside a heavy pottery container).
    And the chips are superb, but I don't eat chips often. Have baked a simple cake in it, too.

I experienced the Aussie 'thunder box' in our Sydney days, living somewhere near the George's River (Sutherland Shire). Beautiful scenery there, too.
    In Austria, only the odd outlier had a thunderbox, my paternal grandparents did, who lived in a forgotten area, near the Bohemian Forest, had one and I remember the carts who took the contents to the fields.(I visited my grandparents only occasionally, grew up in a city.) There I learnt an awful lot from an old and silent peasant woman, in long skirts - she was the 'farmer' knew about the land, knew about mushrooms, was a great but simple cook. She even rinsed her wash of heavy white linen bedsheets etc in a small brook adjacent to their property - my job was to go into the water and hold onto the opposite end of whatever she was rinsing. Sometimes bed linen was staked out on the fragrant meadow to dry - and sleeping in those eiderdown beds with fresh sheets was heaven. I am not talking 19th century here, but post WWII Europe! Amazing when I think of it now - and thankful.

In Australia I have often missed the old washboard - it was so practical - and boiling the whites in a copper!! Might get a washboard from a musical instrument dealer haha!

Today's kitchen project: I am going to make my baked cheesecake - hopefully I can photograph and post it, to please @Sweetsound smile.png

Bigger project next week, shall make a baked minced meat loaf, but mince my own meat, so the mince will be totally fresh - have bought new mincer - the old ones were great, because they were cast iron - new seem to have a fair bit of plastic - had to throw one out.

Are you still into 'cooking' the economical way? I am, as a matter of course, very little waste here.
    take care
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.