PCK 6.67% 2.8¢ painchek ltd

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/health/dementia-rates...

1. 100 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/health/dementia-rates-set-to-become-australias-biggest-killer/news-story/974264d93564347aef2f41c1ca28643b

Dementia rates set to become Australia’s biggest killer

Australia’s number-one killer is set to be dethroned by the rising rates of dementia, which threatens to affect everyone in the country. See the biggest risks to you and how to get help.

Australia’s number-one killer is set to be dethroned by rising rates of dementia and unless something is done to stop it, everyone in the country will be impacted by its grip.

Heart disease is still the number one killer in Australia, but rates have decreased 22 per cent in the decade since 2009.

Dementia, which includes Alzheimer’s disease, is in second place but rates skyrocketed 68.6 per cent during that same period, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Dementia Australia CEO Maree McCabe said the rise was concerning and stressed the need for medical advancements.

“In 2019, there is an estimated 447,115 Australians living with dementia,” she said.

“Without a medical breakthrough, the number of people with dementia is expected to increase to 589,807 by 2028 and 1,076,129 by 2058.”

“There won’t be anyone in Australia who isn’t impacted in some way.”

A “well-developed” strategy is needed to accommodate rising dementia rates, according to Ms McCabe who said additional support for carers is vital.

“Without carers people can’t live as long at home,” she said.

“So what’s predicable is there will be premature entry into aged care in some places.”

Ms McCabe said dementia was “not a normal part of ageing” and risk could be reduced by looking after blood pressure and cholesterol, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising and cutting back on drinking alcohol and smoking.

‘I WILL FIGHT BACK AGAINST DEMENTIA’

Juanita Hughes, 54, was diagnosed with behavioural frontotemporal dementia in early 2019.

Despite her initial feelings of sadness, Ms Hughes, from Brisbane’s Inala, says her diagnosis “came as a relief”.

“My father had it so I was aware of the signs,” says Ms Hughes, who has a background in science research.

“It was affecting my decision-making, my emotional attachment and ability to plan things.

“I would start planning something but then couldn’t stick to it, I’d start planning all over again.”

Ms Hughes, who works as an advocate for Dementia Australia and regularly speaks at conferences, says she worries about her future and the financial implications.

“I live alone so that’s a worry. It’s hard enough as it is with a partner by your side to look after you,” she says.

Ms Hughes, who has vowed to “fight back against dementia as much as humanly possible”, says she is scared about the possibility of going into an aged care home.

She says staff at care homes need to be better educated about dementia and that there needs to be specific care homes for younger patients.

“There are no places for people with younger-onset dementia. You can be put into respite with people in their 90s when you’re in your 50s.”

Ms Hughes, who will speak at a conference in Singapore this year, says more needs to be done for younger dementia patients, who tend to “fall through the cracks”.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PCK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
2.8¢
Change
-0.002(6.67%)
Mkt cap ! $45.80M
Open High Low Value Volume
2.9¢ 2.9¢ 2.8¢ $3.374K 116.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 5311209 2.8¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
2.9¢ 26039 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
2.8¢
  Change
-0.002 ( 6.67 %)
Open High Low Volume
2.9¢ 2.9¢ 2.8¢ 11647
Last updated 15.55pm 16/04/2024 ?
PCK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.