NVX 12.7% 71.0¢ novonix limited

Media Watch - NVX related, page-10656

1. 400 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 263
    Pretty much agree with the above.

The conventional wisdom among experts, industry and investors (that I've come across) is that graphite anodes aren't going anywhere for the next decade at least. I've seen 'bullish on silicon' comments from car manufactures but the interviews always go on to concede they don't really expect any major change until late 2020's at the earliest. The most popular compromise as of now is the 'drop in solution' as CatDog alluded to. Mix a bit of silicon into a majority-graphite anode solution to get some benefits without any major change to the existing battery designs or manufacturing. This is a logical progression in development. There's actually several companies whose sole focus is developing a silicon 'drop-in' blend for graphite anodes.

It's not all about graphite anyway, it's about having a product the industry needs. At the moment a lot of companies are trying to make their debut with graphite anode materials for batteries (and associated products) because there's potential there. But the long-lasting companies won't be one trick ponies. It's definitely worth being mindful of the developments in majority-silicon anodes, and the potential for graphite obsolescence in the long term (I don't know let's say 2035+). The economics of silicon anodes look good. Current development shows it might be a solvable problem (it is, albeit in small scale for now). Manufactures are indicating they want it. It still requires more material science/commercialization breakthroughs but the present trajectory shows potential.

I would expect the best companies to at least acknowledge the reality of more silicon / less graphite in the future. Better if they have some sort of plan in place to capitalise on that potential. Until then, still plenty of potential money to be made in graphite anodes if the demand is to be believed. That demand isn't going to away because the future might look different. And as others have alluded to, any technology company worth their salt will have a finger on the pulse and adapt as required.

In summary. Silicon isn't a threat at present, but probably will be. Some companies will adapt and make profit either way (assuming they make any profit to begin with), some won't adapt and such is life.
    For clarify for anybody who cares, my position is Not Held. Just now I realised it said Held in my previous comment, that was an error.
    Last edited by JSSF: 03/07/23

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NVX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.