NVX 1.45% 70.0¢ novonix limited

"Driving a model S for 100% to 5% charge daily will quickly...

1. 39 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 105
    "Driving a model S for 100% to 5% charge daily will quickly degrade the battery."

Keeping a Model S at a 100% state of charge will quickly degrade the battery. Driving from 100% will accelerate the degradation but less so.

One thing to keep in mind is that Tesla, unlike say the Porsche Taycan, integrated very little "headroom" on the battery max charge. Knowing the type of driving that would be typical for cars, they had this freedom. Passenger cars are seldom on the road for long trips, and mostly the Tesla cars are used for driving to and from work as well as in-town errands and trips. Tesla knows that these trucks will be driven on long trips a large amount of time, and the purchasers of these trucks will not tolerate consistently charging to less than 100% SOC.

This is just my assumption, but Tesla seems pretty smart about how they use their batteries, so I assume that they are going to add additional headroom (extra unused/unaccessible capacity) so that when the vehicle states 100% charge, the actual SOC is closer to 95% or even a bit less. If they do not do this, they will almost certainly have a lot of warranty expense. Of course, you may be right that batteries with better degradation characteristics will be needed.

It does bring up a nice benefit of the "million-mile anode" which is the ability to enable a reduction in the headroom and lessen both the cost and weight of the semi if a higher SOC can be maintained without degradation effects.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NVX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
70.0¢
Change
0.010(1.45%)
Mkt cap ! $342.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
70.0¢ 70.5¢ 69.0¢ $373.0K 535.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 41737 69.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
70.5¢ 6896 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 11/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
NVX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.