"The whole Oz housing bubble was fuelled by investors or...

1. 1,694 Posts.
    "The whole Oz housing bubble was fuelled by investors or speculators (not by first home buyers or up-down trading dwellers). Hence, the fate of the Oz housing collapse is a function of the behaviour of speculators going forward."

For sure - there will be many casualties across the whole social spectrum.

In the 90's & 2000's middle class OZ got into property speculation en-masse.I remember the office buzz about negative gearing among the more senior and financially established people at work in the mid-late 90's (were in their early 30's). It was like this shimmering rainbow had suddenly appeared and everyone wanted in on it.
    That illusion has persisted for a long time now - it's become entrenched within a generation. And while some of the new ones are infected with that illusion - more and more are shunning it. Good news.

Been interesting of late talking to my parents and their friends (war babies late 1930's-early 1940's).
    They have been on this incredible magic carpet ride for the last 15 or so years - now finding that in retirement they have these $million+ assets, but increasingly can't manage the rates , maintenance and other living costs without help from the kids.
    They don't want to sell - because they are elderly and it's their home.

I think the $$ signs are quickly fading with the onset of cataracts!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.