melbourne cup

1. 2,196 Posts.
    Sorry if there is a thread already started for this years big one but couldn't find one. Really starting to get excited about the race that captures a nation. It is extrodinary how many people this one AUSTRALIAN event captures, and how many stories they remember about the race if they backed the winner.I would hazard a guess that it more closely remembered then the AFL grand final and is the icon of Australian history.I love to read Melb. cup history and if you haven't read Bart's book then you must!Ask anyone who they know out of Robert Menzies, Ted Whitton or Bart Cummings and the answer may surprise you. I love my horses and racing and I love the Melbourne cup. It is the one day of the year I can talk to anyone about horses because it is the only time they want to know!

The lead up races are really starting to hit top gear and wanted to get people's thoughts this far out. It kills me to see it go overseas(excluding NZ) but love the competition of a world class race.

I have early bets on Linton in the Caulfield and Zabeelionaire in the cup. With the Turnbull this weekend we will know more!

Also has anyone been to a Melb. cup and which one? Also who is your favourite winner to date? I went in 95 to see Doriemus win in the wettest day in 20 years and had the time of my life even though didnt back WA owned horse and jockey being from WA! Would love to go again soon. My favourite winner is Saintly such a magnificent horse to back up from the Cox Plate win!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.