About 30 years ago I took communion a few times from a Catholic...

1. 5,241 Posts.
    About 30 years ago I took communion a few times from a Catholic Priest so I have committed a mortal sin and have my first class ticket to hell.
    Maybe, maybe not, there is nothing that God cannot forgive, Catholics commit them everyday even if unintentionally, but the biggest sin is not to ask God for mercy, as he cannot forgive if you don’t first realise or disregard it as if its noting and not willing to change.

As a matter of interest where is this understanding derived from the Bible.
    1John 16-17 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
    17All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

I guess that there is another way that I can look at my situation - I'm already bound for hell so getting two tickets shouldn't make a difference.

No, not really, you’re only bound to hell in situation like this where now you fully know and you shrug your shoulder and carry on as normal.

I confess that it is a time like this that I think that being an atheist is a good idea because I don't believe that a loving God could commit one to eternal punishment for a naive mistake - but then again that is what is reported to have happened to Adam and Eve.

But now it’s not a naïve mistake is it, as you know. Adam and Eve is a different situation.

Anyway, I shall not be setting foot anywhere near a Catholic Church, not because I fear hell because I don't believe that what you have described will happen, but to avoid embarrassing friends. I shall also be less inclined to support the Catholic Church as I have done up to now, especially if I discover what you describe to be the general view among Catholics. I'm not into supporting divisive organisations.
    It is this sort of attitude that puts me off JWs

Well, you can do whatever you want, just like I did right now, I got up and took a snack of meat, when the doctor told me to eat less meat, eventually the law of nature will catch up with us all,
    Why should your friend be embarrassed, many people don’t receive communion and stay seated, you can still go up if you like and just cross your hands, put left hand on right shoulder and right hand on left, not a problem in the world, no one will ever notice as you won't be the first or the last as most do that.
    We live in a feel-good age and not to hurt anybody’s feeling, much of that reality has crept into every aspect of society including religion, I agree we shouldn’t hurt anybody no drama there, but in life there are rules one must observe, and that goes along within religion, unfortunately not many are doing that today, this is why societies seem to be falling apart, it's an open slater as now snow flakes don't want their feeling hurt, again the law of nature eventually catches up with us, so will Divine law if God exist.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.