Memorial tribute to Pinner Richard Hilldweller !, page-6

1. 37,217 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 399
    A little more about Richard “Hilldweller”

As I mentioned on the DJPIN thread recently, I attended Richard’s funeral.

Heartfelt recollections were delivered by two life long good mates … as in of 40-50 years, having attended school and high school with Richard and maintained their friendship ever after.

I spoke to them both after and let them know I knew Richard online though HotCopper and that he was really well regarded contributor on DJPIN … I am pretty sure that sat well as in the eulogy and recollections, Richard’s online presence was mentioned, and that condolences had been received from overseas as well.

Richard grew up in Sydney’s Hills District, and it just struck me this afternoon that perhaps was where the online name hilldweller originated?

Richard and his mates had a great childhood and youth together, with crazy, spontaneous adventures around Australia as they got older, one being after a big night out in Melbourne, stuck and not finding it easy to get home, Richard spoke to the driver of a tour bus parked down the road, then sauntered back to his mates and said “we’re going to Perth” … and they did … just like that … the rest of that trip sounded like great, random fun.

As we know Richard settled in Darwin … he loved the top end and never left … and loved his job as a manager in government IT. He and his friends got together as often as they could from all parts of Australia and often travelled overseas for sometimes long stays in Asia.

In Asia he met the loves of his life, a Thai woman Trum (spelling?) and her daughter. He spent years arranging to get them to Australia, visiting and living with Trum and her family in Thailand over that time. I think the three of them were finally together and happy in Darwin for something like the last 10 years.

Richard loved the top end outdoors and there were lots of pictures out in his boat with Barra and I think Queenfish that seemed as long as the boat was wide and only a bit shorter than the smile on his face.

So I think it is right for us to remember Richard for the thoughtful contributor he was, honest and with dry wit when appropriate, always thoughtful of others even when time was closing in for him over the last 6 months or so, a loving husband and step father, a man who enjoyed his working life and who had been planning ahead to retire in Thailand with Trum and her family … a top bloke who enjoyed life, his family and the outdoors.

Rip

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.