APT 0.00% $66.47 afterpay limited

Merchants charging fees for using APT, page-8

1. 7,743 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7017

Guys,

I'd be interested what the circumstances are in America? As pointed out here BNPL services bake into their contracts that retailers cannot pass on their fees. That is something credit card companies specifically cannot do in their contracts. They literally cannot due to statutory regulation and legislative protection of consumers. The RBA is looking at this and I think its ripe for change (similarly I sold out of my long position because in the COVID retail collapse I felt RBA sure to eventually address) for the same reasons, if retailers and ultimately consumers are forced to pay additional charges because of a lack of payment options, its hardly fair. I am curious if the BNPL merchants are applying the same conditions to retailers in the US? Wonder if you guys knew - the US tends to pass on credit card charges far more than Australia retailers do.

This is the main risk to me. I wonder if the vast amount of recent retail investors even understand this risk. UK authorities have been quick to change laws regarding fees to protect consumers and I don't think the RBA will wait for the UK lead on this one.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.