I had a mate who was a dentist. Worked three days a week until...

1. 705 Posts.
    I had a mate who was a dentist. Worked three days a week until he had put together enough cash to retire. That's another story but he was alway very enthusiastic about the dentistry. Amalgam fillings he assured me were probably OK but once the newer light activated polymer fillings became available the recommendation was to replace amalgam to be on the safe side. One of his colleagues was the daughter of a dentist and worked one or two days a week. She was in her late 60s/early 70s when I knew her an that was 20 years ago. She told me they would always make the amalgam fillings by mixing extra mercury with the metal powder and squeezing the rest out. That tells me there probably isn't an actual strict formula for dental amalgam or at least there wasn't 50 years ago.

I think we are all better off without mercury in our mouths but the people who would have been most at risk would have been the dentists and their assistants. They would have been exposed to mercury vapour as an occupational hazard. Any spilt mercury that didn't get cleaned up would have slowly evaporated away, poisoning people in the process.

Longer ago than I care to disclose when I was a student, we were obliged the cover mercury spills with a product called HgX. The hazards of mercury vapour were certainly well known then.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.