MFG 2.63% $9.25 magellan financial group limited

Hah! You had me in stitches. My wife actually came up to ask...

1. 724 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1087
    Hah! You had me in stitches. My wife actually came up to ask what I was laughing about. I told her I just bought into falling-knife Magellan, and she wasn't impressed. She urinated on me, and walked off. Not so different to Tassals, to be fair.
    Hit me up on Twittter if you're there.

@Chella They're pretty wide valuations, and I think that reflects the range of potential outcomes here. I find it really hard to guage what an appropriate PE ratio for Magellan should be: if it declines, it'll drop to 10-12 probably; if it grows <5%, it may be around 12-15 in normal periods; if it can grow at 5% and meet their 9% target, then 18-20 is reasonable. But I think the argument that based on forecast FY22 PE is ~15 makes it cheap, hmm not sure that washes with me. I like to think of this as one of those Peter Lynch 'stalwarts', and hopefully you're getting a quality business.

Also the current dividend yield is fixed at the time you buy the stock. If the share prices rushes to $40, $50 or more tomorrow.. I still get my 6.4% I locked in today. Hopefully, they grow their dividend. And if they grow that dividend at 3.6% p/a, I'll get my 10% IRR. Again, not a very high hurdle. Though, that's how it always starts with value traps...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MFG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$9.25
Change
-0.250(2.63%)
Mkt cap ! $1.671B
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.42 $9.43 $9.25 $6.960M 746.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 5976 $9.24

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$9.25 357 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MFG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.