Micro-Caps, page-5

1. 16,915 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8380
    "And i get the DMX newsletters and plan to use their fund down the track when ive got weary of sitting too much in front of the comp; after all life is fleeting, do things while in good health. "

Well said.

I've always told my family members that once my passion for researching companies and investing has waned to an extent that I feel other people are able to do a better job of it than me, then I'll gladly sub-contract the managing of my money to those people.

That process has commenced, starting with the DMX Capital, although one of my reasons for entrusting Steven McCarthy with a slice of my family's capital - apart from the fact that I think he's a better investor than I am - is because, while I like micro-caps from an investment appeal standpoint, practical execution of investment ideas is often very difficult due to sheer lack of liquidity. I have no relationships with stockbrokers for the sourcing of lines of stock and I really couldn't be arsed sitting in front of a screen for hours on end gently hitting the offer.

"Ive also noticed your change from premium large cap investment grade stock picking focus to these exciting smaller newbies."

Yes, that is a seminal insight, which dawned on me about two or so years ago. Truth be told, while I don't closely measure it, my sense is that my investment performance over the past two years has been acceptable; but it has certainly has fallen short of the kind of results I used to generate in the preceding decade or so.

I find that, in recent years, I have been making avoidable investing mistakes - not many, but enough of them to give pause - which I would never have made in the past.

When I undertake a brutal audit of why that is the case I conclude that it is because the world of business is changing in a way that my demographic probably doesn't fully comprehend.

I cut my investing teeth in the cosy, relaxed days when the gig was comparatively easy: economies were less open and large duopolies dominated; these days, technology renders dis-intermediation of whole sectors of the economy possible with little more than the launch of a website.

Old companies die earlier and new ones emerge quicker.

"My watch list of your stocks only goes to 50 stocks but i know you have or did have more than that. Thats alot of stocks to cover and keep up with and as you mention maybe not an efficient portfolio strategy ideally?"

Some people do woodwork for a hobby; some collect stamps; others catch fish.

Me, my passion has been investing, so - if my wife didn't prevent it - I could easily spend 60 hours a week keeping abreast of a lot more than 50 companies, most in cursory details but a good many in quite some detail.

"The other thing , in the past youve done something similar with your traditional mid/ large cap stocks, that is rated them similarly to the small caps above.They still play an important part in ones portfolio and it will be int to know what % wise value weighting and rating these have now in this ever morphing landscape we now inhabit and that we need to adjust and adapt to the value of things etc. For example is RHC still a core premium stock for you? "

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking there.
    Are you asking for a breakdown of the stocks I own by % holding?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.