Middle East War Expands, page-2523

1. 24,383 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 128

ICJ opinion live on the Occupation of the West Bank

https://webtv.un.org/en/asset/k13/k136ri1smc

( summary - ICJ throws the book at Tel Aviv)

Posted by: Exile | Jul 19 2024 13:55 utc | 245

Yemeni forces strike Tel Aviv.

"Yemen’s Ansarullah popular resistance movement has said it was ready for any scenario that could follow the Yemeni Armed Forces’ recent pro-Palestinian drone strike against the city of Tel Aviv in the occupied Palestinian territories.

Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, member of Ansarullah’s Political Bureau, made the remarks on Friday in an interview with Qatar’s Al Araby channel.

The movement, he said, was "prepared for any Israeli response" to the strike.

Yemen’s Armed Forces announced the operation earlier in the day. It saw the aircraft exploding in a building lying less than 100 meters away from the US Consulate in the city, killing one person and injuring 10 others."

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2024/07/19/729655/Yemen-says-ready-for-any-scenario-following-drone-strike-on-Tel-Aviv

Posted by: Republicofscotland | Jul 19 2024 14:01 utc | 246

210 al jazeera mentioned lancet ten days ago, took 10 seconds to find article. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/7/8/gaza-toll-could-exceed-186000-lancet-study-says

Posted by: nazcalito | Jul 19 2024 14:25 utc | 247

Re: ICJ advisory opinion on Occupation (live)

ICJ throws the book at Israel
    1) calls Occupation illegal
    2) demands ending of occupation
    3) requires reparations for damages
    4) demands settlers be removed
    5) demands all states cease aiding and supporting occupation
    6) unclear if ICJ opinied that Israel practices Apartheid, but it sure sounded like it.

Posted by: Exile | Jul 19 2024 14:35 utc | 248

Most importantly:

0) Confirms that Gaza is still under effective occupation by the Zionist entity and that 'israel' is not free of it's obligations under "international law" as an occupying power.

Posted by: Arch Bungle | Jul 19 2024 14:38 utc | 249

Arch,

I’d argue that a victim could sue for damages any entity supporting the occupation. For example: Columbia University’s $14 billion Endowment might be seized.

Individuals giving money to build settlements are now at risk of having their assets siezed. The Bronfmans or Lauders etc.

It’s a target rich environment.

Posted by: Exile | Jul 19 2024 14:56 utc | 250

The juice is in the final two pages

https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/default/files/case-related/186/186-20240719-adv-01-00-en.pdf

Posted by: Newbie | Jul 19 2024 15:25 utc | 251

6) unclear if ICJ opinied that Israel practices Apartheid, but it sure sounded like it.

No doubt about that

229. The Court observes that Israel’s legislation and measures impose and serve to maintain a
    near-complete separation in the West Bank and East Jerusalem between the settler and Palestinian
    communities. For this reason, the Court considers that Israel’s legislation and measures constitute a
    breach of Article 3 of CERD

And that concerns

224. A number of participants have argued that Israel’s policies and practices in the Occupied
    Palestinian Territory amount to segregation or apartheid, in breach of Article 3 of CERD.
    225. Article 3 of CERD provides as follows: “States Parties particularly condemn racial
    segregation and apartheid and undertake to prevent, prohibit and eradicate all practices of this nature
    in territories under their jurisdiction.” This provision refers to two particularly severe forms of racial
    discrimination: racial segregation and apartheid.

Posted by: Newbie | Jul 19 2024 15:29 utc | 252

I see Republicofscotland | Jul 19 2024 14:01 utc | 246 beat me to it but ZH has a posting up

'The Whole Building Shook': Houthis' Tel Aviv Drone Strike Kills 1, Hospitalizes 8

The quote

In what could spark spiraling escalation of warfare between Yemen's Houthis, Hezbollah and the State of Israel, a large drone struck a high-rise building in central Tel Aviv overnight, killing 1 and wounding 8 more. Using social media, a Houthi spokesman indicated the group had launched a "military operation" that "targeted 'Tel Aviv' in occupied Palestine'."

Saudi-headquartered Al Arabiya reported that the Houthis fired four drones and a ballistic missile. The missile and three of the drones were said to have been shot down by US forces in the region. Witnesses say the 3:15 am blast was so loud, it was audible for miles.
    "The whole building shook," Alon, a local resident, told Haaretz. "My neighbours' windows shattered so I was sure something had hit the building. It was only when I went outside that I realized that several buildings had been damaged." According to one report, eight victims were hospitalized; four were wounded, while the others were receiving treatment "for anxiety."

No alarms were sounded. This latest Israel Defense Forces (IDF) failure promises to heighten Israelis' sense of vulnerability that persists nine months after the stunning Oct. 7 Hamas invasion of southern Israel. Following the attack, the IDF said it had elevated air patrols to bolster defenses. While it wasn't struck, a branch office of the US embassy was described as just 100 meters away from the blast.

I expected Tel Aviv to be hit by Hezbollah, not the Houthi....good on them

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 19 2024 15:42 utc | 253

I expected Tel Aviv to be hit by Hezbollah, not the Houthi....good on them

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 19 2024 15:42 utc | 253

Yes, the Houties literally "go the extra mile"

Posted by: Newbie | Jul 19 2024 15:54 utc | 254

Newbie - thanks for posting the language. My Lord, the Likud is now guilty of Apartheid as defined in Article 3 of CERD.

Next stop declaring the Likud and IDF a joint criminal enterprise with a host of consequences.

The Likud is destroying Israel.

Posted by: Exile | Jul 19 2024 16:33 utc

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.