I have been using the proteus mind machine for nearly a week. I...

1. 3gb
    963 Posts.
    I have been using the proteus mind machine for nearly a week. I was skeptical when I ordered it. I read some reviews on Amazon that werent complimentary. It cost just under NZ $300 on line, some sources wouldnt supply presumably because They are designed for American power. I dont think the warranty is valid. I bought a transformer off Dick Smith for nearly $40. It can also run on the shaver socket in bath room.
    It looks professional. Approximately 100x70x30mm. Great tangle of wires, power, headphone, goggles. Simple to operate but a lot of different programs and you can down load more or play CDs. I have been trying the tranquility and relaxation programs. There is also peak performance, learning, well being, visualisation, energy, and something called pyrotechnics (entertainment). At least 40 programs stored in the gadget and storage for more. Programs run for 10 to 60 minutes.
    The same company produces a more sophisticated model. There are other sound and light machines available. The literature says 15% of the brain is involved with sound while 40% is influenced by visual. You wear dark glasses with some lights on the lenses. You close your eyes, the lights are red or green but you see different colours and lots of pattens. The red is ment to be activating, green relaxing. There is a volume control and also one to increase the intensity of the lights. The "music" is sort of humming, wavy sort of electronic sound. I think the theory is the flickering lights and sound is ment to induce types of brain wave.
    I guess I enjoy using it. I definitely get fairly relaxed, my breathing rate declines my jaw drops. I still have thoughts cropping up regularly. But that happens when I try to meditate with out any aid. I am not sure if there is any advantage in using this gadget over traditional meditation, I suspect not. I will continue to use it and may alternate with other relaxation techniques. Long term I may get more understanding of what is best. The technology will evolve. I think if you can meditate the traditional way you dont need this thing. If you are not using relaxation techniques and $300 isnt a lot of money to you then may be worth considering.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.