moloneys call for unattractive single women

1. 3,263 Posts.
    A CALL for "beauty-disadvantaged women" to consider moving to Mt Isa to rectify the mining town's gender imbalance has won the backing of the area's federal MP.

Mayor John Moloney is under fire from residents of his north-west Queensland town after he suggested unattractive women move there to find a man.

Outspoken MP Bob Katter, whose electorate of Kennedy includes Mt Isa, has leapt to the mayor's defence.pe"Everyone I have spoken to in town thinks it's screamingly funny, exactly the same as I did," Mr Katter told the Nine Network today.

"The comment says, if you don't happen to look like Nicole Kidman, come to the Isa. You can have a lot of fun, and that says a lot of nice things about the Isa and our outback towns.

"We have a terrible imbalance between male population and female population, we have always had that problem and he has brought national attention to bear upon it.

"I am certain there will be an awful lot of girls going to Mt Isa."

Attacks on Mr Moloney were unfair, Mr Katter said.

"When we (country) people assert who we are and what we are then you find some way of twisting that around and out a malevolent interpretation upon it.

"The interpretation has been demonised."

Daily Telegraph

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.