LYC 0.57% $7.06 lynas rare earths limited

molycorp announces output and revenue miss, page-14

1. 57 Posts.
    Molycorp Blasts Shareholders Instead of Ore
    Article Preview — For full access, register below, it's free

By Christopher Barker | More Articles
    January 10, 2013 | Comments (0)

When investors bemoan the unceremonious slap in the face that they've just received from controversial rare-earth elements developer Molycorp (NYSE: MCP ) , interim CEO Constantine Karayannopoulos will say he had no choice. He'd be absolutely right, and I think now we have a much clearer explanation for prior CEO Mark Smith's sudden departure from the project he helped to launch.

Molycorp's shares crumbled by more than 20% Thursday morning after the company slashed 2013 revenue expectations and delayed phase 1 production from the revamped Mountain Pass mine in California until mid-year. Ramp-up delays are commonplace in the mining industry, as for example with the recent delay impacting IAMGOLD's (NYSE: IAG ) Sadiola expansion. But typically, some indication of a schedule revision is communicated to the market before the previously targeted time frame has expired.

Molycorp investors, of which I am one, rang in the new year with the understanding that phase 1 annual output of 19,050 tons of rare-earth oxide (REO) equivalent from Mountain Pass was already imminent. According to Karayannopoulos: "The targets of achieving full phase-1 run rate by the end of 2012 in my view were too aggressive. The expectation that somehow we would have pushed a button and boom we would have gotten to phase-1 operating rates overnight was not realistic and it should not have been the expectation."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.06
Change
0.040(0.57%)
Mkt cap ! $6.599B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.00 $7.12 $6.92 $27.09M 3.845M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 75156 $7.05

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.08 480 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.