LYC 0.78% $7.76 lynas rare earths limited

molycorp up more than 7% overnight, page-16

1. 11,037 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3700
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that I think whatever happens at MCP - and especially the stock price - is not relevant to LYC or ARU (or others for that matter).

As far as MCP's stock price - it logically must go down come mid May when the current lock up expires. This is simply following supply and demand. The lock expiration about doubles the free float - so twice as many shares available to sell (and before anyone says twice as many shares to buy think about it).

This is plainly evident. Just go to yahoo finance (or any charting tool) and chart MCP and then use the compare feature of the chart and overlay LYC.

During last lockup expiration in Jan, MCP fell +/- 25%. During that time LYC went up. It could be that those exiting MCP decided that LYC provided an alternate home and so demand for LYC shares went up at a time that MCP was going down.

At this time LYC and MCP don't even compete with each other for the same customers. It's not as if we are trying to sell a commodity product like 1Mtpa of DSO Fe to Chinese steel mills.

I hold LYC, ARU, NTU, NTUON & AVL (NYSE). I think that shows my opinion of MCP too.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.