Well done wazza and dex for the previous night ... been busy......

1. 5,586 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1738
    Well done wazza and dex for the previous night ... been busy... thought I had a chance last night with 5 to go ... oh well - it cuts both ways.

Here's an interesting commentary for those who trade ...

It's time to dig into something a bit whack. Service Stream (SSM) was a stock once plagued by bots and algorithms – Until it smashed earnings expectations on 22 February and went on an 11-day win streak.

The stock traded sideways from July 2023 till February 2024, in a relatively tight price range between the mid 80 cent level and mid 90 cent level.

I guess the first question is – How do you know there’s an algorithm? Here are some of my key observations:

• Consistent volume – Between December 2023 and February 2024 the stock traded within a narrow range and averaged around 500-600,000 volume every single day
    • The order book – But if you go into the order book, there’s only offers and bids of 20-30,000 shares
    • Put the above together – So 500,000 volume but bids and offers of only 20-30,000. That implies you need such bids and offers to be wiped out 15-30 times over
    • What happens on repeat – If a buyer(s) take out the 94 cent order of 20,000 shares (which pushes the share price up from 93.5-94 to 94-94.5) the 94 line gets refreshed by the algorithm
    • In essence – The company might be fundamentally sound and undervalued but there’s a persistent seller at several price points with a boatload of shares

Naturally, the next question is – Why is there an algorithm and who is it?

Picture this, you’re a fund that holds 115 million SSM shares (~20% of the company) and you want to offload this stake. If you tried to sell everything in one go – You’d nuke the share price.

You're not in a hurry to sell and you can’t find another party that’s interested in buying your stake (or a portion of it). So here you are – Drip feeding the market with a few hundred thousand shares a day.

By the way, the above numbers are real – Allan Gray Australia owned 114.8 million shares as of 27 October 2023 and reduced its position to 107.7 million shares by 29 February 2024.

I guess the last thing is – Can I profit from this?

Before I say ‘yes’ – I should probably say that past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Trading the SSM range would have worked for many months – Buying around 85-87 cents and selling at 90-92 cents. The main limitations would be:

• Managing risk – Between July 2023 and February 2024, the stock slipped below the 85 cent level on ~12 occasions. Where would you position your stop loss?
    • Liquidity – There was a prolonged period where daily average volume was only ~500,000 shares. You can’t size up too hard.
    • Edge – Imagine if this was common knowledge and everybody was trading SSM. It would probably break something

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.