Monday June 17th, page-2

1. 18,323 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 276
    A fitting image for a fitting vote @LongPier

OK a bit of discussion over the weekend about a new player @Jako8557 suggested might be a good idea to include in the nightly tipping comp called AverageJoe. https://hotcopper.com.au/posts/39036520/single

A run down of who AverageJoe would be... AverageJoe is the average combination of all valid tips for that night. @zero2a$mill has already found what that the concept of AverageJoe is and it is a real life phenomena, called "Wisdom of the Crowd".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd

I do already have a night stat about our average tips in the daily wrap up, but now that stat would turn itself into a tipper for the night. In another words another competitor in the comp.

With the setup I have in the Excel spreadsheet AverageJoe would steal possible points away from you if they were in the top 5 position. I don't think I could make them a competitor and not claim points. I suppose it is possible, but would take a bit of time to make the setup. I'm more inclined to just have them as a competitor or not.

I have collated stats of what AverageJoe has done since Jan '18.
    Total points
    2018 = 97 (includes 1 ACE with a 0.49 tip DFP)
    2019 = 37
    Each month AverageJoe has scored at least 1 point and was not in contention for a PinApple award.

A Break down of how each month is made up of as follows:

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1598/1598278-12c0c6954de6783a9277ff9467950cfb.jpg

There has already been a bit of "I don't like this new player" from a couple of regulars. Mostly due to the fact a rule change would be needed. As they don't tip in the thread by the current rules it wouldn't be classed as a valid tip. But I suppose you can counteract that as with each tip that is posted AverageJoe's math is working and changing till the 30mins prior to NYSE opening. If AverageJoe is allowed to play they would be exempt from that particular rule.

Another point is that AverageJoe is classed as another tipper so can and will take possible points from you if they are closer to the pin. But I guess everyone that plays for the night is a competitor.

I have already suggested that if AverageJoe was to be incorporated, the player would start next month. If they happen to take out 1st place for the month, due to the current prize money donated by @RockNRollClown it would jackpot to the following month.

Another possibility would be as @jackarooz suggested, a tipper here could combine the tips of everyone and place it the thread just before closing time using it to rank higher. If AverageJoe and another tip is the exactly the same like the current rules suggest first tip gets the advantage. As AverageJoe's tip would be classed as on the cut off time AverageJoe would always be at the disadvantage.

So I guess all the above is laid out for a decision with the community of DJPINers. Are you happy for AverageJoe to compete or not. Majority vote will decide AverageJoe's fate.

Personally I don't have a problem, as AverageJoe is just a collection of our valid tips, just another new entrant into the game I see no problems. They might take possible points away from me, but so can anyone else. No one has ever said the DJPIN is easy. So I vote Yes.

@Quantum TorusIn regards to your post ( https://hotcopper.com.au/posts/39079514/single ) most of the rules are set out in the daily wrap up. A rule that is in place but not shown there is once a tipper has a valid tip, that is their tip. Obviously myself being a mod and having the ability to see a moderated post that could contain a valid tip that rule is not shown, also mostly it is for the sportsmanship of the game. Just because someone tips close to you shouldn't mean you now don;t like your tip and get it modded to tip again. If/when I do pass on the role to someone else that isn't a mod and wouldn't be able to see if there is a valid tip or not, it would be which ever valid tip you first see. Also exact tips has first tipper as the advantage, the 2nd, 3rd double up of tips are at the disadvantage. There is probably a couple more and when they come up are always normally related back to a previous advanced search thread in the forum.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.