STX 4.65% 22.5¢ strike energy limited

Money mine mention, page-362

1. 8,319 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2938

I don't trust the official short data, 618. I think it's an aggregate of genuine shorting, of the kind reported by Black Rock recently, and fake shorting.
    What would a 'fake' short look like?
    You set up three 'unrelated' accounts. Account A accumulates stock and lends it out to Account B. Account B 'short sells' the stocks to Account C through mid-point cross trades (which have been ubiquitous of late). These transactions are reported as 'short sales.'
    Under this arrangement, Account A continues to accumulate and lend shares to Account B whilst not popping up as a large holding, as this might raise eyebrows of the managers of the target firm when they review the registry.
    When it is time to declare you've got 5% of more, Account C 'sells' back to Account B (through a large cross trade), who passes their shares back to Account A, thereby closing out the 'short' position.
    All you need to do is come up with a plausible story about the three parties being unrelated (just in case ASIC ask questions about the short sale data, which they never do) . You could run several of these schemes in parallel if you really want to fly under the radar.
    Obviously, I don't know whether this is happening, but it would be pretty simple to implement. It would also mean the headline 8% short position should be taken with a grain of sale. Meanwhile, the high short sales figure of 8% has the desired effect. i.e. creating the impression the big end of town is betting against the target firm.
    If this is happening, however, you'd expect a large fall in the reported short sales when/if Gina finally declares her 5% stake.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
22.5¢
Change
0.010(4.65%)
Mkt cap ! $643.6M
Open High Low Value Volume
22.5¢ 23.0¢ 21.5¢ $3.339M 14.95M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 337869 22.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
23.0¢ 1651352 24
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
STX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.