sorry , today i had to rush out and just clicked on that bit...

1. 1,943 Posts.
    sorry , today i had to rush out and just clicked on that bit without putting it's article source as i normally do.
    Anyway , i remember reading somewhere recently about reports of Russia & China putting pressure on Mongolia but i can't find it.
    Apparently China has about 60% of the direct foreign investment in Mongolia , so must have a lot in mining and a lot to lose if their companies of the list of cancelled leases , but I doubt it.
    I did come across this from The Telegraph - 11 Sept by Liam Halligan. (Chief Economist at Prosperity Capital Management - one of the world's leading asset-management firms). He was visiting at a coal mine in Mongolia.

The Sparkler (above) says "Can't help wondering if big brother next door had a hand in the decision."

I can't help wondering if it's BOTH brothers !

Or maybe as the Mongolian Mines minister said it's all about the tundra "It is difficult to rehabilitate. Forest is easily damaged."
    Or maybe it's unilateral Mongolian strategy " Some mines may be classified as strategic deposits, in which case they could be exempted from the law, though the government would then acquire an equity stake in the project."

China and Russia drive mineral-rich Mongolia to join the mining elite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/7996659/China-and-Russia-drive-mineral-rich-Mongolia-to-join-the-mining-elite.html

"Working together, they could transform this far-flung region from a collection of fragile buffer states into a transit corridor based on trade in energy and minerals and, ultimately, a whole range of goods. Slowly, but surely, that is starting to happen."

"While I don't believe that Western interests will be deliberately excluded from this emerging Russia-China link-up, unlike in previous rounds of the central Asian "Great Game", they most certainly won't be in charge."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.