PNX 0.00% 0.4¢ pnx metals limited

monster debate over mine reopening

1. 35,751 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 554
    Monster debate over mine reopening
    TIM LLOYD From: The Advertiser July 15, 2010 8:42PM

THE future of Burra's Monster Mine has split the vote from Burra to Parliament House.

Phoenix Copper wants to renew exploration at the heritage-protected Monster Mine, Australia's first great copper mine developed in the 1840s.

Phoenix has asked Mining Minister Paul Holloway to lift restrictions preventing work at the site.

However, Greens MLC Mark Parnell yesterday signalled he would try to enshrine protection of the Monster Mine in the Mining Act next week.

Mr Parnell and Opposition heritage spokeswoman Michelle Lensink were among SA parliamentarians who attended a public meeting of about 200 residents in Burra last week.

They said there was lively argument between pro-heritage and pro-mining factions.

The Regional Council of Goyder backed Phoenix Copper on the strength of a show of hands at the meeting.

Mayor Peter Mattey claimed the show of hands had been slightly in favour of mining exploration.

By chance, the Monster Mine issue has arisen as Parliament is half way through debating major revisions to the Mining Act.

Mr Parnell said he would be adding a further amendment to the Act to specifically protect the Monster Mine from exploration or mining in the legislation, thus removing it from Minister Holloway's direct control.

"It is a contentious local issue," he said. "Why was it heritage listed anyway? If it was a good idea in 1988 why is it not a good idea today?"

"My amendment would ensure that the area cannot be mined unless Parliament agrees. This is clearly a higher level of protection."

Mr Parnell said he would add the clause to an amendment he had already proposed, which would prohibit mining in the Arkaroola wilderness, recently approved for exploration by Marathon Resources.

HERE

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PNX (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.