monty python and property bulls, page-29

1. 3,704 Posts.
    TCIboss,

I am quite interested in what you said about boomers are more likely to stay close to their existing area but buy a smaller place and still keep to 3 bed 3 bath.

It struck a chord with me, it sounded right. It's the sort of thing I would be tempted to do when I retire.

You free up some cash but your social network remains pretty much as it was before and you still have room for grandkids to stay over.

I used to think that the radius of two hours drive from major cities was the go, close enough that grandkids can be seen regularly but far enough away that the quiet life is possible.

However, as time has passed I have started to think that these will more likely be second properties, or if they are primary properties then a flat in the city will still be purchased.

I am sure all these permutations will take place but the question is what will the masses of retirees do to alter the prices in a meaningful way?

It is about 10 years from now that the top of the bell curve will be hit for Australians hitting 65. This used to be equated with retirement but now I am not so sure, I now wonder whether significant numbers will continue to work and then how significant?

In the ramp up, over the next 10 years, there will be heaps of opportunity if we can see it. In a community like HotCopper it is possible that we can collectively form opinions which will help us better forecast trends.

We can't do that if:

(a) All we want to see is death to an asset class
    (b) Let our ideaology destroy any chance at capitalising
    (c) We bicker and call each other names

I have a stack of people on ignore, I think I need to add more to the list. I want to concentrate on people who are seeking opportunity, people who want to make money, people who are not out to hurt or tear down other people.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.