More bovine excrement from their ABC, page-133

1. 18,067 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    I think there are some you would label that I can’t identify with at all - for sure. Those I just skim over and note. Some have views that are so extreme that I shudder. But the intolerance for different views isn’t left wing, right wing or centrist.

the way people handle their disagreement varies but I believe that there is an astonishing amount of intolerance from those you might regard as centrist or left wing. Maybe you don’t see it because you dress it up as morality. Maybe you don’t see it because you agree with the views and ignore the insults.

if you don’t think back slapping goes on with l the centrist/left wing posters I will refer back to a very easy example for me

in a thread that ranged comparatively widely about family violence I raised the views of one poster which regularly over many years have laid the blame on women for men’s behaviour because of their make up or dress. They have also regularly objectified women - bums, tits, whatever. Humour or scathing commentary. This has been a persistent pattern that has been very visible to others. I eventually posted research that shows that there is a demonstrable connection between objectification and violence towards women.

I noted with interest that at that point you did a few things - ignore the content of my concerns about objectification and instead express support - that he didn’t sound like an abuser (in which case you need to learn a lot more about why women get upset), and partly because you agreed with a lot of his views, accused me of allowing my dislike of his objectification and though you may not have understood my perspective, his easy abusive labelling of anyone who disagrees with him. You then ignored the fact based research which if you actually cared about family violence you’d be interested in. Objectification is relevant. If one cannot have basic respect for women and other people how can one possibly manage long lasting and productive relationships.

You subsequently went off topic to debate the pentagon issue - which in my view is completely disconnected to the thread topic. So you did what you accused me of. Yet you had accused me of it (I believe) because it caused dissonance

you are free to think I am biased or lack objectivity. I may well do.

But I’d rather be consistent that as much as possible I try to be rational. I Don’t always get it right, and I will generally not post when I have inadequate knowledge of a subject but I am very very clear about what matters to me and the moral basis on which I have formed those views.

I don’t particularly care if people are inconsistent - that’s being human - and I don’t particularly care if they have different views from me - even if I think they are poorly informed or even wrong - it would be a weird world otherwise

But I do care if they are self righteous. And in my view that is not restricted to left, centrist or right. I’ve followed some of the posts and patterns and what I see is upping the ante against some people that is uncalled for. And that has often occurred against those who I’d regard as more conservative or old fashioned or more right wing economic or social perspectives.

I also understand that posting as I do invites its own criticism. I can recall someone telling me they had a nose for mental illness (from a lovely sometimes patronising individual who regards themselves as tolerant and somewhat more enlightened), annoying - yes probably, whatever. That’s cool because none of you know my life or me or my connections or work or way I connect with others in real life.

so yes you may not see what I do but we each wear glasses with tthe tint of our choosing

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.