More bovine excrement from their ABC, page-58

1. 85,136 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    Yes, the cyclone risk is clearly higher for SEQ and south a ways now. But, mostly for me the thing that most people miss is 'what happens if'.
    As you know, I participated in the evacuation of Darwin. That was the biggest peacetime evacuation in Australian history. There were lessons from that and they should be learned for today.

1. Darwin is tiny, a pup of a population.
    2. Brisbane and Gold Coast etc have large populations
    3. For Darwin - we had many places to send people for emergency accommodation - so, they went to several states, spread out, but all had beds somewhere that I know of.
    4. If Brisbane or GC or similar get a big hit - and we get tens of thousands OR MORE looking for emergency accommodation needs ---------- where can we send them?

And this is the point - there are massive, numerous long queues for rentals in most capital cities and population areas in Australia right now - there is a huge housing crisis -

so, what do you do with tens of thousands of people made homeless from a whopper storm now - today - and for the foreseeable future??

That's one monster difference to the past.

From there on - there are other monster problems - atm we also have a trades crisis - we can't get existing building finished. Also in NSW - there's a monster backlog of work to repair serious building faults - in OVER half of all new NSW apartments - and there's just not the people to do the work

So - if we lost or had damaged - 10's of thousands - possibly many tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dwellings --------- how in the name of god would we cope? In short - we'd have a tent city catastrophe - and it would be like that for years.

It's my view that people here - many of them are just totally oblivious to the risk atm. Likelihood? don't know - but, possible? Certainly.

What someone should be talking about is ---------- 'what if'? ----- There SHOULD be a plan.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.