Hi Furpo2; in my younger days I used to walk into places...

1. 46,376 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Hi Furpo2; in my younger days I used to walk into places including Lake Tali Karng, Mt Reynard, Mt Howitt-Crosscut Saw- Terrible Hollow. I used to canoe the Macallister and run across Burgoyne's Gap while training for the Melbourne Marathon.

I still carry mental images of a stunning copperhead snake's head poking out from under a rock I was standing on the Cross Cut Saw as I was looking down into the Terrible Hollow. Truly amazing country and made me appreciate why early non-Aboriginal explorers assigned names such as Mt Hopeless, Mt Buggery and Mt Disappointment - two members of our walking party almost died from exhaustion on a hot day and took weeks to recover later in hospital.

I've walked most of the Alpine Track and most walking trails in Victoria and I'd love to think that our grandkids get to enjoy and to appreciate what I've been privileged to experience - including croaking frogs and copperheads slithering overhead in snowgums raiding bird's nests.

Thus far it's our wettest Winter since 1981 when we had 305mms - 250mms thus far but still a long way from 501 mms in 1981. Great weather for frogs and ducks but way too cold for slithering critters.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.