moving with work help please., page-14

1. 19,444 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    323onp we all bare stamp duty initially on our purchase due to the muppets in state gov't double dipping after the gst came in. As for land tax I personally pay zip as I have structured my investments in different ownership structures i.e. myself and a company/trust structure.

Kincella the land tax question is still valid as in this case the property is no longer the posters PPOR. I also agree if you only ever intend to have a few properties then land tax is not a huge burden however due to the cumulative nature of the tax it can be a rather substantial portion of your income. In SA if you have $1050000 worth of land in total you pay $10694.50 in land tax now for the types of properties I buy that probably equates to around 15 properties that roughly at the market rate could be rented for $200 per week. So it would bring in a total income of $156000 therefore land tax represents a cost of about 7% of your income. Now I don't know about you but I pay more than enough tax in other ways and object strongly to paying even more tax for no additional benefit. Now if you are smart you can put all of these properties into 3 to 4 trusts and pay either nil or a very low amount of land tax in total (<$1000). The biggest burden then is doing the paperwork of your structure at tax time which may cost you around $1000 per trust if you use an accountant or nothing if you do it yourself. Reality is it is not hard to do it yourself once you have done it once on the provision you keep good records throughout the year.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.