TLG 2.60% 37.5¢ talga group ltd

Hi scep,I wouldn't be surprised if the government makes mining...

1. 1,706 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3231
    Hi scep,

I wouldn't be surprised if the government makes mining more attractive for municipalities by being more generous with royalties. Not an increase (there's a need to attract investment too), but more generous. A common complaint is that all the money goes to Stockholm. During the many conferences I've watched, I keep hearing about a "just transition that's fair and inclusive where local municipalities don't get left behind." Local opposition is probably the biggest threat to the CRMA and I'd say the easiest fix for the EU and member states to overcome this is money.

Talga are one of the first out the blocks in this new era, which is why we see the Kiruna Municipality trying best they can to use the company as a bargaining chip and to voice their frustration. They know a tsunami of mining is coming and want to make sure they benefit from it.

Regarding appeals, normally appeals can be made. The municipality assesses them before sending it over to the CAB. CAB then makes the decision. This can be appealed further to the Land and Environmental Court. Detailed plans are usually completed at a far earlier stage, long before a company has their environmental permits approved. The positives for Talga here is that hopefully by this point, the environmental permits will have already been fully approved - how then can there be any environmental issues in the detailed plan for the court to consider? Logically, that would lead to an extremely quick turnaround, even for Sweden.

Talga informing the government certainly isn't normal procedure which has made it difficult to find info on how this changes things regarding appeals. Perhaps it's the same process, minus an uncooperative municipality (CAB takes over from their duties if that's the case).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.