This excercise is for night cramp of the calf muscle, where you...

1. 205 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 31

This excercise is for night cramp of the calf muscle, where you half wake up and stretch a leg only to be hit by a very painful cramp which lasts for a couple of minutes. The only relief I could get when this happened was to jump out of bed and stand on that leg with toes bent back..

This exercise may help prevent the cramp in the first place.

1. Stand erect facing a wall with your arms stretched in front of you with your palms flat on the wall.

2. Shuffle your feet backwards until you feel a slight pull in the muscles/tendons in the back of your legs. (This is about 30ms/12 inches for me.)

3. Move your hips gently forwards towards the wall, about 15cms/6 inches, until you feel a stretch in your calf muscles.

4. Hold this stretch for no more than 20 seconds, then ease your hips back, move your feet forward and stand upright.

Twice a day should be sufficient.

I found that after a couple of weeks I no longer needed to do the exercise daily and when the cramps returned after several months that I only needed to do the exercise for a couple of days for the cramps to cease again for several months.

I can't remember where I found out about this exercise, but obviously it worked for some other people. Remember though, what works for some, may not work for all. 

Be interested to hear on this string if it worked for you.

Cantankerous James

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.