George, I wouldn't mind doing that either, provided I knew...

1. 506 Posts.
    George, I wouldn't mind doing that either, provided I knew exactly what he did. I don't think we do know; and that's unfortunate.
    As well, you might well be right that the trial was a political theatre but it is so sensitive that an upheaval might well have occurred had the sentence been greater. A hell of a lot of people wanted him freed.
    Also, Australia "building up pressure" instead of simply voicing its opinion would only put the country's back up and what tenuous relationship the two countries have could well be placed in jeopardy; particularly if we are wrong about his involvement.
    Politics works in both countries. Downard and the rest of our mob (as well as the USA) might also be staging a show for their domestic audience (us). It keeps us thinking about things other than the failings of our own politicians and it certainly keeps the shock jocks happily busy and making loads of money.
    I don't know what has really happened there and I don't suppose the hoi polloi of any nation will ever get to know.
    I'd love to know what Wacko Jacko did, for example, or OJSimpson but I doubt we ever will.
    Since Azaria's "dingo trial" hysteria in OZ and the revelation of the great number of people who were wrongly executed in America, I've become very cynical about what the media (of the world) feeds us.
    Let alone the cr ap about "necessary wars" and WMDs possessed by everyone except the US and Israel!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.