When my parents came out from Greece in the late 1940's the most...

1. 3,263 Posts.
    When my parents came out from Greece in the late 1940's the most apparent culture was Aussies men drinking in pubs and mateship. Nothing much has changed with some.

European migrants were constantly told that they were wogs and dagos and to return to their own countries. Food other than the basic three veggies and meat were considered 'wog food'. I recall my mother telling me, "We taught Australians how to eat."

When the white Australian policy was uplifted in the mid 70's the focus was on the 'slants' and I recall one digger telling my mother and I "Your kind are alright. It's these bloody Asians who are a problem." Now the focus is on the Muslims. I was born here but was never referred to as an Australian...it's only in recent times.

I belive xenophobia is alive and well. There will always be division because of religion, politics/propaganda, power, greed etc which sums to be a lack of love and respect in the world for all humanity and lets not forget all living creatures.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.