FWIW...and from the get go I trust no studies on guns as almost...

1. 17,416 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 112
    FWIW...and from the get go I trust no studies on guns as almost all have a barrow to push, as a researcher, Im very well aware of the disconnect between true scientific method and having a barrow to push

Here is the study my friend above referred to
    1. Travis, Jeremy (May 1997)."Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms".National Institute of Justice.

FWIW the Washinton Times
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/oct/5/guns-used-more-for-self-defense-than-crimes/

The latest research confirms that guns are used more in self-defense than they are in crimes.

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, there were around 480,000 criminal uses of guns in 2019. Although this number might seem significant when viewed in isolation, existing research has consistently shown that the number of annual defensive gun uses vastly exceeds criminal uses.

A 2013 review of the literature by the National Research Council found that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million.” At the time of the 2013 report, there were nineteen surveys on the frequency of defensive gun uses. All found that defensive gun uses were prevalent. The vast majority of these surveys indicated that there are at least a million annual defensive gun uses. Of these, the most reliable survey found at least 2.1 million defensive uses of guns each year.

Confirming this scholarly consensus, two recent studies lend strong confirmation to the idea that defensive gun uses vastly outnumber criminal uses, with one finding that there is 1.67 million defensive gun uses each year.

Last edited by hersuit: 18/01/22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.