MRM 0.00% $2.69 mma offshore limited

MRM is going quiet on hotcopper. Some investors probably have...

1. 370 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 72
    MRM is going quiet on hotcopper. Some investors probably have left.
    This stock is money-maker for UBS, shorting it down and buying it up.
    Even though I bailed out a long while ago, when share price starts to dip irrationally.

My experience with MRM really taught me some wisdom.

I am a firm believer in value investing, so when I see value in stock is "yes, buy". Initially, MRM is above $2, already at years-low with P/E below 10 and good contracts with major oil/gas explorers. I bought in and it was doing ok. Suddenly, share price starts to dip, I was not worried, so I bought some more. Then, MRM dips below 2. I was frustrated but not worried with paper loss, so I began asking whether I was missing some important pieces of information, regarding valuation of MRM. Just when I thought "nothing has changed, it still has good value".
    Then, I realize
    1. LNG construction boom in Australia would be over soon in 3 or so years. The switch to production-maintenance contract would generate much smaller income stream. I realize MRM's future would likely encounter declining profit.
    2. I checked LNG price in Asia, which started to decline already, due to more supply coming online. In a commodity market, a perfect competitive environment, eventually (theoretically) only the lowest cost-producer would make money. Then, Santos/Woodside had their capex at LNG blown out by billions of dollars. -> high labour cost, high construction cost, basically it was expensive to build LNG in AUS.
    3. Then, shale gas revolution turned into real things. I did not expect it in such short time. I sold my shares, because LNG business is gonna have hard time to compete with US LNG.
    4. Shale revolution also make petrol cheaper, and OPEC's attempt to defend its market share, driving oil cheaper. As a result, LNG became even less attractive.
    5. Up until recently, even Oil explorer/producers recorded significant decline in profit, as oil hits $50 and $40.

My lesson from MRM is that information asymmetry always exists. There would always be people/insiders who know more about the business than you. So, when share price becomes irrational, either in upward/downward trend, it is important to reassess the value of the firm, because share price sometimes indicates that the value/outlook of the business has changed.
    More importantly, differentiating value-indicative share price changes from share price manipulation.

MRM fluctuation between $0.5 is partially due to broad market sentiment, but exacerbated by shorter's manipulation. At the moment, I think large change in MRM SP is due to investor manipulation, not indicative of value changes in the business.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MRM (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.